Get to know the coldest inhabited city on our planet, where even saliva freezes and turns into small needles sticking in your tongue. The place is so cold that it is a real challenge to lead a daily life.
Curious planet made a list of curious facts to show us an idea of the terrible cold that is experienced in «Oymyakon».
Let’s start with the list!
1. “Oymyakon” also known as “the winter factory”, it is so cold that it affects the lives of citizens. Its 500 residents are forced to spend most of their time cooped up in their home or office; as on winter days the daylight hours are only three.
2. The name of the town means “liquid water”, or “water that does not freeze” in the Yakut language. somewhat ironic, Do not you believe it?
3. The ground of the place is permanently frozen forming permafrost. For this reason, people eat meat mainly because the crops they cannot survive sub-zero temperatures.
4 The average temperature of the thermometer marks 50ºC below zero during the long winter months. For this reason, chess, the tiresome walk of the reindeer, popular songs and above all, vodka distract the inhabitants of the cold a little. However, Oymyakon alcohol, causes more deaths than the cold.
5. Fox fur hats, ski goggles and boots covered in reindeer furare the necessary garments to keep warm and survive in the freezing temperatures.
6. There is no drinking water (the pipes would freeze and burst), instead huge ice cubes are thawed for consumption. You can’t wear glasses on the street. since they would stick to the face.
7. Vehicles must be kept in heated garages to prevent damage, and they can’t bear to be outsideunless the engine is running.
8. Winter lasts nine months and the fish freeze in just 30 seconds after being pulled from the river. For this reason, they are kept in the basements of houses just like milk, which it is never liquid.
9. The cold is so extreme that until you die it’s a battle against the icesince to bury the dead it is necessary to make a bonfire on the ground so you can start digging.
10. If you ever want to travel to «Oymyakon» and take pictures, you must take them without breathingbecause the breath remains floating in the form of a cloud and tarnish everything.