The Altamira Castlealso known as Palacio de Altamira and Alcázar de la Señoría, is located in the center of the city of Elchein the province of Alicante, in Spain.
The origins and construction of this fortress-palace date back to the 11th and 13th centuries during the Almohad domain, when a first structure was built next to the Vinalopó river valley. Later it would become an integral part of the city walls.
A new period of building activity followed in the 15th and 16th centuries, after the property was assumed by Gutierre de Cárdenas, Lord of Elche. The current appearance of the castle mainly dates back to that time. From then until the nineteenth century, Altamira castle was the home of the Lords of Elche. His tower came to house Jaime II of Aragon, Pedro IV of Aragon and the Catholic Monarchs when they visited Elche.
In the 18th century, when the castle was owned by the Count of Altamira, its southern facade was transformed into a majestic two-story house. Also from the eighteenth century, until 1959, the west wing of the castle was used as a prison. In 1915 a textile factory in the parade ground of the castle, which functioned until the second half of the 20th century.
Nowadays, Altamira castle is open to the public at a price of €3 (general admission)housing a museum (Museo Arqueológico y de Historia de Elche) and offering the opportunity to climb the battlements.
The city of Elche also houses, as outstanding elements, the Calahorra tower (just 150 meters to the east) and the Ressemblanc and Vaillo watchtowers.
Thus, next to large and historic palm grove in the center of the city, this is a really nice place to visit