Do you want to know what the Starlight Destinations are and where they are in Spain? If you like astronomy or starry skies, this interests you to know.
enjoy a starry sky on a winter or summer night is nowadays a luxury. And not because it is expensive and not within the reach of all pockets, but because with environmental pollution and light it’s hard find dark places with clean, clear skies where you can enjoy a perfect view of the sky. Although, that there are few does not mean that they do not exist, because in Spain we have a good handful of Starlight destinations.
And what are these Starlight Fates? The first thing is to get to know a little the starlight foundation, an entity created by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, the IAC. This foundation is the one that has created this concept of Starlight Destination, a kind of badge to certify places in our country (and also in other corners of the world such as Chile, for example), where you can excellent contemplation of the night sky.
In these places marked as Starlight Destination you can practice what is called the tourism of stars. They are outdoor spaces (among which we find both coastal and mountain areas) in which this “star tourism” has become one of its main claims, to the point that preserve the quality of its skies is as important as the conservation of the natural landscape or cultural elements.
List of Starlight Destinations in Spain
This is the list with all the places in Spain that have obtained the badge of Fate Starlightthat is, some of the best places in our country to fully enjoy a starry sky:
- Island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands
- Valleys of Leza, Jubera, Cidacos and Alhama, in La Rioja
- Granadilla de Abona, on the island of Tenerife
- Sierra del Montsec, between Lleida and Huesca
- Sierra de Gredos, in Castilla y León
- Teide, on the island of Tenerife
- Sierra Morena, in Andalusia
- Region of the Sierra Sur de Jaén
- Peña Trevinca in the Montes de León, in the province of Ourense
- Atlantic Islands National Park, in Galicia
- Monfragüe National Park, in Cáceres
- Gúdar-Javalambre region, south of Teruel
- Gran Canaria Island, in the Canary Islands
Do you know first hand of any other place that is not on this list and where you can also contemplate the night sky in a spectacular way? Don’t hesitate to comment.
Official website | starlight foundation
Photo | Flickr – The Collector of Moments
Spain Places of interest #Sustainable destinations #Tourist destinations