Nowadays, we constantly encounter images, videos, and other content due to social media and messaging applications. These contents can occupy a significant amount of space on our smartphones over time. So, would you like to easily clean up unnecessary files on your phone via WhatsApp? Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide to help you!
1. Meta’s Updates for WhatsApp
Thanks to Meta’s recent updates for WhatsApp, users can now send and receive larger files more easily. As a result, there is no longer a need to use alternative applications. The file size limit for WhatsApp has now been increased to 1 GB.
2. Unnecessary Files from WhatsApp Filling up Phone Storage
However, there is a downside to this: media files sent or received through WhatsApp can be forgotten over time and start to take up a significant amount of phone storage. This is where WhatsApp’s cleaning feature comes into play.
3. Easily Delete Unnecessary Files with WhatsApp
WhatsApp offers a very practical method for cleaning up unnecessary files. Here are the steps you need to follow to free up storage on your phone:
a. Open WhatsApp and Tap on Settings
First, open the WhatsApp application on your phone and tap on the Settings icon located in the lower right corner.
b. Tap on Storage and Data
From the Settings menu, tap on the Storage and Data option to proceed.
c. Go to Storage Manager
From the Storage and Data menu, tap on the Storage Manager option to access the manager.
d. Review Files by Category
In Storage Manager, you can review all files stored on WhatsApp by category. These categories include:
- Forwarded Files
- Large Files
- Low-Quality Content
- Other Files
e. Select the Category You Want to Clean and Tap on Clear
After reviewing the files by category in Storage Manager, select the category you want to clean and then tap on the Clear button.
f. Confirm the Warning Message and Complete the Process
After tapping on the Clear button, a warning message will appear. This message indicates that the selected files will be deleted and asks for your confirmation. Confirm the warning message to complete the process and free up storage on your phone.
4. Recommendations for Saving Storage Space on WhatsApp
To save storage space on WhatsApp, consider the following suggestions:
- Turn off automatic media downloads: By going to Settings > Data and Storage Usage, you can turn off automatic media downloads to prevent unwanted media files from being downloaded to your phone.
- Adjust media settings for group chats: You can choose whether media shared in group chats is downloaded to your phone. To do this, enter the group chat, tap the menu in the upper right corner, and select Group Info. Then, edit Media Visibility to choose the desired setting.
- Regularly clean forwarded messages: Forwarded messages, especially in popular group chats, can take up a significant amount of space. Therefore, make a point of regularly cleaning these messages using Storage Manager.
- Use cloud storage services: To free up storage on your phone, you can upload important files to cloud storage services and then delete them from your device.
With this cleaning feature offered by WhatsApp, you can now manage your media files more comfortably and neatly. With this guide, learn the simplest way to delete unnecessary files and enjoy the benefits of saving storage on WhatsApp!